RETAIL ALCOHOL FIGURES FOR 2020:
* Supermarkets, take-away shops, hardware stores and the like turned over a record $15.6 billion in alcohol sales in 2020.
* Sales were up 26.7 per cent or $3.3 billion on 2019 levels.
* The year-on-year increase was almost 17 times the year before, when alcohol sales grew by $195 million.
* Alcohol sales spiked in all months impacted by the pandemic, but May saw the biggest increase with turnover almost one and half times 2019 levels.
* In December alone alcohol retail stores turned over almost $2 billion, making it the highest earning month in Australian history.
* Some 80 per cent of alcohol sold in Australia was already takeaway and delivery before the pandemic.
SOURCE: ABS data and Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education