Australia’s fight against the deadly coronavirus is far from over after two new cases were recorded in the Eastern States.
A health alert has been issued for a Sydney cafe and venues in the Illawarra after a returned traveller tested positive for COVID-19 after their 14-day quarantine period.
This comes after hotel quarantine worker at the Holiday Inn at Melbourne Airport tested positive on Sunday.
The Australian Open is due to begin in Melbourne today.
Health alert for NSW
A cafe at Brighton Le Sands in Sydney’s south as well as shops, a hotel and a beach in Wollongong and the Illawarra are among the venues where the returned traveller visited last week.
NSW Health says anyone who visited the venues around the same time should get tested immediately and self-isolate.
The person tested positive on the 16th day after arriving home, having returned two negative tests during their 14-day quarantine period, the department said on Sunday night.
“Test results indicate that the person has a low level of infection and their household contacts have returned negative results to date.
“Investigations to date suggest the infection was likely acquired overseas and there is no indication at this stage that there was transmission in the hotel quarantine setting.”
Close contacts of the case are in self-isolation and are not associated with the venues of concern, NSW Health said.
Health alerts include venues in Austinmer, Bulli, Brighton Le Sands, North Wollongong, Fairy Meadow, Corrimal, Thirroul, Madden Plains and Figtree, with details available on the NSW Health website.
Contact tracing begins in Melbourne
The Victorian hotel worker tested positive on Sunday after she completed a shift as an authorised officer at the hotel, the Department of Health confirmed in an alert just before midnight.
She had previously tested negative after a shift on February 4.
The woman is working with contact tracers who have already identified a number of potential exposure sites in Melbourne’s west.
Authorities are also contacting Holiday Inn Airport workers and other primary close contacts, who are being told to immediately get tested and then isolate for 14 days.
Testing capacity at nearby exposure sites will be scaled up, with increased opening hours, additional staff and new pop-up sites to be confirmed.
It comes after a hotel quarantine worker at Melbourne’s Grand Hyatt tested positive for the infectious UK strain of the virus last week.
About 1100 of the 26-year-old’s close and secondary contacts are self-isolating, with 70 per cent returning a negative test result.
“They are the real heroes of this response over the past few days – stepping up, doing the right thing,” Health Minister Martin Foley told reporters on Sunday.