Plans for thousands of punters have been thrown into chaos after Perth’s biggest New Year’s Eve Festival, Origin Fields, was postponed because of COVID-19 restrictions.
Festival organisers announced this morning that their Feel Alive Again event — which has been held on New Year’s Eve for the past 14 years — would be pushed back until March 6, 2021.
While the event was allowed to go ahead, organisers said the conditions put in place because of coronavirus “would compromise the quality of the event, limit interactions between attendees and reduce the overall event experience expected from Origin Fields”.
It follows the same fate as Boxing Day festival Breakfest which was cancelled because the restrictions needed for the event to go ahead wouldn’t allow for festival atmosphere.
“The no physical stage concept works for some events but for the calibre of acts we’ve booked and the quality of the stage shows we are producing, it just wouldn’t be the same – nothing compares to seeing your favourite act live and up close,” said Origin Fields organisers.
“2020 has been a below average year for many, we didn’t want to put on a second-rate show with the restrictions currently in place and leave fans disappointed.
“Without being able to have the final say in how we produce and manage the show, we felt it best to hold the event at a later date.”
Rumours began circling this morning after 6PR reported festival employees had been emailed that it was going to be cancelled.
Homegrown drum and bass pioneers Pendulum were unveiled as the headline act in November.
House music DJ and producer Dom Dolla was also confirmed, with festival-goers set for a huge range of high-energy tracks and mixes including Take It, San Frandisco and Define.
The music festival has become synonymous with bold festival fashion and massive acts with the likes of Tyler, The Creator, RÜFÜS DU SOL, Cardi B and Khalid performing in previous years.
Ticket holders who are unable to attend can request a refund until midnight on Tuesday 22 December.