Perth arts festival Fringe World has announced its events and venues will close in line with the announcement of a five-day full lockdown in metropolitan area.
Perth, Peel and the South West will go into a five-day lockdown after WA recorded its first case of COVID-19 community transmission in almost 10 months.
Premier Mark McGowan announced the drastic measure — which comes into effect at 6pm tonight — at an emergency press conference this afternoon, revealing a security guard in his 20s at one of Perth’s quarantine hotels had been diagnosed with the deadly virus.
In a statement Fringe World organisers said staff will be working from home during the lockdown, and plan to recommence operations on Friday February 5.
“In line with the announcement of a five day full lockdown in Perth metropolitan, Fringe World events and venues will be closed effectively immediately,” organisers said.
“All staff will be working from home during this time. We have the systems to ensure that we can maintain operations so that we can re-commence the Festival and Rooftop Movies from 7pm on Friday 5 February.
People who purchased tickets to events during this period will be refunded. Updates will be available via Fringe World’s website and their social channels.
The security guard lives with three other people in Maylands, all of whom have been placed in hotel quarantine. Each has returned a negative test, but that is expected to change in coming days.
The man was working at the Sheraton Four Points Hotel and became unwell on January 28, calling in sick to work and returning a positive test close to midnight last night.
Four confirmed COVID-19 patients were in quarantine at the Sheraton at the time, including two with the fast-spreading UK variant and one with the South African strain.
The man was working on the same floor as a patient with the UK strain. Genomic sequencing will confirm what variant he has on Tuesday morning.
The security guard previously returned negative tests on January 15, 17 and 23.
The Department of Health has released an extensive list of “exposure sites”, primarily in the Maylands area, visited by the man when authorities fear he may have been contagious.
It is suspected the man contracted the disease on either January 26 or 27.
The man is also a rideshare driver. It is understood he worked his last shift in that capacity on January 22.
Premier Mark McGowan announced masks will now be mandatory for anybody leaving their homes and anyone that is able to work from home is encouraged to do so for the next five days.
West Australians are still permitted to leave their home to purchase food and essentials, and Mr McGowan cautioned against panic buying saying there was “no need to rush to the supermarket today”.