Dozens more ‘medevac’ detainees freed | Ralph-Lauren

Must Read


Dozens more detained refugees who were transferred from offshore detention will soon be released on bridging visas, refugee advocates say.

A further 34 men have been told they will be freed from detention facilities in Melbourne on Thursday, the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre claims, following the release of about two dozen detainees on Wednesday.

But 14 men will remain in a makeshift detention centre in a Melbourne hotel, with no obvious reason for the different treatment.

One of the men slated for release on Thursday is Mardin Arvin, an Iranian refugee who spent six years in Papua New Guinea after seeking asylum in Australia by boat.

He has been held in Melbourne hotels since he came to Australia for treatment under the now-repealed ‘medevac’ law in November 2019.

Mr Arvin, 32, told AAP he was looking forward to spending some time alone without being surrounded by security guards.

“I wish to be alone and working…and get some fresh air, sunshine,” he said.

After 26 men were released from the Park Hotel in Carlton on Wednesday, Australian Border Force officials held meetings with other groups of detainees in the hotel.

One group of 14 was told they would not be released, but later another – including Mr Arvin – was told they would be freed the following day.

Mr Arvin wrote on Facebook that he could not be completely happy until all Manus and Nauru refugees were free.

One of the 14 who will remain in detention told AAP that he was “very upset”.

“I became very weak and I’m really broken down because of this situation,” he said.

The refugee has not been given a reason for his ongoing detention from ABF, his government-provided caseworker or his lawyers. He said there is no obvious difference between the 14 and those who will be released.

“This my question,” he said. “I want to know exact reason what I did and what is my wrong.”

The Melbourne hotel and another in Brisbane were designated as alternative places of detention by the federal government, and have been the centre of fierce protests during the past year.

The men held in them were brought to Australia for medical treatment under the short-lived ‘medevac’ legislation.

Repealed in December 2019, the law allowed independent doctors to recommend the transfer of people held in Nauru and Papua New Guinea to Australia for medical purposes.

Sri Lankan refugee Ramsiyar Sabanayagam, 29, will also be released from the Park Hotel on Thursday.

He was just 22 when he arrived on Christmas Island and was sent to Manus Island.

Wednesday was “really very exciting” because it was the first time he heard about freedom in eight years, he said.

The hotel he was held in for over a year before being transferred to the Park in December was like a prison, with no sunshine or fresh air, he said.

He is looking forward to hugging and thanking his supporters.

“First of all I want to meet my friends…because lots of supporters, brothers and sisters and grandmothers, day by night they are supporting us and fighting for us,” he told AAP.

While happy to be released, Mr Sabanayagam said that a six-month bridging visa was not enough and that he had been waiting for a permanent solution for too long.

Lawyer Noeline Harendran of Sydney West Legal believes the releases stem from over 100 cases she and a colleague have filed on behalf of the men in federal courts.

The Department of Home Affairs told AAP in a statement: “The Australian Government’s policy is clear that no one who attempts illegal maritime travel to Australia will be permanently settled here.”



Source link

Leave A Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

Advocates ‘terrified’ one group will left behind when NSW reopens | Ralph Lauren

Disability advocates say they are terrified some of NSW’s most vulnerable people will be at risk when the...

More Articles Like This