Fremantle Dockers cult hero Kepler Bradley joins this week’s Hard Ball Gets podcast to chat candidly about his career, his favourite fan interactions, and a touching Ross Lyon story that showed the coach’s loyalty and care in a vulnerable moment.
LISTEN TO THE FULL PODCAST IN THE PLAYER ABOVE
But there’s one humorous Lyon story that sticks out in the 117-gamer’s mind.
Bradley recalled a Dockers pre-season game in Mandurah, where he mustered just four handpasses and didn’t earn a kick.
Not expecting to earn a call-up to Fremantle’s round one side a fortnight later, Bradley looked to line up in a WAFL fixture a week before the AFL season started to get some touch.
But after learning of Bradley’s intention, Lyon pulled the big man aside at training and asked: “Are you an AFL player or a WAFL player?”
The rest of the exchange is worth a listen and a laugh from the 32:30 mark of the above podcast.
FULL EPISODE RUNDOWN:
- Bradley’s WAFL role with Claremont these days (1:00)
- Bradley’s “energy for the post-season stuff” (4:15)
- Heading to Essendon as a youngster and the aura around Hird, Lloyd & Sheedy (5:00)
- Playing in the first Dreamtime at the G match – and how would that fixture go if it comes to WA this year? (14:30)
- His switch to Fremantle at the end of 2007 (21:00)