Steven Gerrard admits he feels personally “let down” by the five Rangers players who have breached COVID-19 rules.
After it emerged some players had been accused of breaching Scotland’s strict lockdown restrictions, the Ibrox club issued a statement saying they were aware of an alleged incident and had launched an internal investigation.
Former England star Gerrard told Rangers TV on Wednesday that the club were “really disappointed” by the breaches and said the matter would be dealt with inside the club.
He said the five players were Bongani Zungu, Nathan Patterson, Calvin Bassey, Dapo Mebude and Brian Kinnear.
“The players will be fined and we are in dialogue with the SFA and the government to find a solution moving forward in terms of them boys.
“They have been removed from the club and the squad for now on a short-time basis while they isolate.
“I will sit down with them boys face to face when we are allowed to do so.
“I feel personally let down by recent events but I am trying to move forward and focus on the important things which is to prepare the team ready for a huge game against Antwerp (in the first leg of their Europa League last-32 tie in Belgium on Thursday).
“We will certainly move forward from it. We are at a real critical stage in terms of the games coming up and where we are as a club.
“It won’t affect us as a group. I’ve been absolutely delighted with the group in terms of their application.
“I’m really excited and look forward to the game.”
The incident comes three months after Jordan Jones and George Edmundson were handed two-week club suspensions for breaching COVID-19 protocols by attending an illegal house party.
Northern Ireland winger Jones and defender Edmundson were subsequently handed seven-match bans by the SFA and were moved on loan to English clubs last month.