India and China say the ninth round of talks between military commanders to resolve a months-long border confrontation in the Himalayan region of Ladakh had been “positive, practical and constructive”.
“The two sides agreed to push for an early disengagement of the frontline troops,” a joint statement issued by India’s defence ministry said.
The nuclear-armed neighbours deployed thousands of troops in the remote snow deserts of Ladakh in the northern summer when tensions flared after 20 Indian soldiers were killed in hand-to-hand combat.
The Chinese side suffered an undisclosed number of casualties.
Indian and Chinese troops were involved in a “minor face-off” last week in a disputed stretch of their shared border in the eastern Himalayas area of Sikkim, the Indian army said on Monday.
Sikkim is thousands of kilometres from Ladakh where the military crisis began last year.
Indian media said the latest row in Sikkim had resulted in injuries on both sides.