The State Government will subsidise tickets to this year’s Perth Royal Show, Premier Mark McGowan has announced, promising it will be the “biggest and brightest” show ever.
The beloved event will run at the Claremont Showgrounds from September 25 to October 2.
The government has granted the Royal Agricultural Society of WA $4 million worth of funding – allowing the not-for-profit to slash normal ticket prices by 25 per cent.
This means a ticket for a family of four (two adults, two children) will cost $55.50. An adult ticket will set you back $25.50, while entry for children will be $12.75 each.
“Obviously the Royal show didn’t happen last year. That was very distressing for many people across the community,” Mr McGowan said.
“We are very keen to support the bounce-back of the Royal show.
“Our funding will ensure that we have a great event this year.”
The Royal Show was cancelled last year due to COVID-19. Tomorrow, WA will transition to “phase five” restrictions, lifting all capacity limitations.
The State Government will also partially “underwrite” the show, assuring event organisers won’t have to take on risk “alone”, said Agriculture Minister Alannah MacTiernan.
“It’s been fantastic to be able to get this support,” she said.
“It brings together country and city… it’s not just all about the showbags.”
RASWA President David Thomas welcomed the announcement, and promised punters a “great show.”
“Now is the time for us to start the journey, creating and building this year’s Perth Royal Show,” he said.
The government will also expand its “Getting the Show Back on the Road program,” an initiative that underwrites other public ticketed events.
The program enables event organisers to apply for up to 75 per cent of lost ticketing revenue, up to a maximum of $150,000, when events are unable to take place due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Since it was introduced, the program has received over 140 applications and provided more than $4.1 million in shared-risk support to impacted events.