A Perth school lunch supplier has been fined $30,000 after one of its sandwiches sent a primary school student into near-deadly anaphylactic shock.
The shocking incident took place in June 2019, when a Nedlands Primary School student was rushed to hospital after a severe allergic reaction to a supposedly gluten-free ham and cheese toastie.
The bread was later tested and found to contain gluten.
In December, food supplier Chef’s Delight pleaded not guilty in Perth Magistrate’s Court — but the court found the company had failed to properly train staff and that staff had not exercised all due diligence, WAToday has reported.
Chef’s Delight provides sushi packs and lunches to a number of primary and secondary schools across the Perth area.
The company’s website says the organisation commits to the “highest” safety standards.
“All Chef’s Delight processes and products are independently audited, checked daily and can be sold with the absolute confidence that they are prepared to the highest of food safety standards,” it reads.