South Australia remains on track to lift coronavirus restrictions with Sydney this weekend, ending what has been a “huge imposition”, Premier Steven Marshall says.
The measures in place prevent people from Greater Sydney, the Central Coast and Wollongong from entering SA and have been in place since the COVID-19 outbreak in the city’s northern beaches area.
There are no other restrictions in place for travellers from any other states or territories, although some who arrived from Brisbane earlier this month may still be completing their 14 days of home isolation.
On Wednesday, NSW reported no new locally transmitted cases for the 10th day in a row, closing in on the 14 days required for South Australia to ease its rules.
Mr Marshall said all being well that would lead to the restrictions being dropped from Sunday.
“They’ve been doing very well and we’re on track to open up to Sydney,” the premier told reporters.
“But we still want to see those final few days with no community transmission.”
SA’s transition committee is expected to meet either Thursday or Friday to finalise the likely changes.
“This will be a massive relief for so many people who have been dislocated from work, dislocated from family or friends,” Mr Marshall said.
“It is a huge imposition and we recognise that.
“But in this instance, we’ve had to put those restrictions in place, that’s what kept us safe in South Australia and our economy strong.”
SA also reported no new COVID-19 cases, either locally or in hotel quarantine on Wednesday.
There are also no active infections.