An Adelaide surgeon has been charged with deception offences over fraudulently claiming payment for operations he never performed, or had little involvement in.
The 56-year-old man will front court in June, charged with 25 offences related to claims for more than $65,000 after an investigation by South Australia’s Independent Commissioner Against Corruption.
In a statement on Tuesday, Commissioner Ann Vanstone QC said the man was a surgeon at a public hospital when he submitted timesheets between June 2017 and April 2018 that falsely claimed he had been recalled to perform surgery.
“It will be alleged that in some instances claims were made for procedures with which the surgeon had no involvement,” the statement said.
“In others, he merely offered advice to a more junior doctor but did not perform the relevant procedure himself.
“Other claims were for procedures the surgeon did perform, but in ordinary working hours for which he was already being paid.”
Ms Vanstone said it was further alleged that in all but one instance the timesheets were certified and authorised by the surgeon himself.
The man has been summonsed to appear in Adelaide Magistrates Court on June 1.