Spain’s Paula Badosa has not yet received training equipment ahead of the Australian Open because of safety concerns, but discussions are taking place on finding a way to get her some.
COVID-19 Quarantine Victoria says safety is paramount and any equipment given to people who have tested positive would later need to be “safely destroyed”.
Badosa was the first player to reveal she had tested positive for COVID-19 in quarantine in Melbourne ahead of the Grand Slam tournament.
She was moved to a “health hotel” last Thursday to begin two more weeks of lockdown.
The 23-year-old on Monday described her time in quarantine as the “worst experience” of her career, saying she felt “abandoned” and had suffered from anxiety and claustrophobia.
Badosa said she had not received any training equipment and had been limited to doing sit-ups and using water bottles for weights in room she is sharing with her coach Javier Marti.
“Our priority is supporting the health and wellbeing of those in our care and reducing the risk of transmission to protect staff and community safety,” a COVID-19 Quarantine Victoria spokesperson said.
“CQV is in ongoing discussions with Tennis Australia about suitable equipment that can be delivered to positive and symptomatic residents, given that the equipment can’t be reused and would need to be safely destroyed.”
Badosa arrived in Melbourne after playing in Abu Dhabi earlier this month and was on her seventh day in quarantine when her test came back positive.
As many as 72 players have been confined to hotel rooms for two weeks after passengers on three charter flights taking them to Australia tested positive.
The organisers said they are in regular touch with Badosa but due to her positive test the restrictions were tighter on what was allowed in her hotel room.
“We have exercise equipment ready and waiting for her, and will continue to work with the health authorities on finding a solution for this to be delivered to her room,” a Tennis Australia spokeswoman told Reuters in a statement.
CQV said earlier there were no further positive tests among the 970-strong Australian Open contingent to report on Tuesday, leaving just the nine already confirmed cases.