As Australian shoppers begin preparing themselves for the hype of Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales, retailers are beginning to hint what lucrative deals are on offer.
The major sales period has become one of the most important retail events of the year. Retailers are expecting the discount bonanza to alleviate some of the heavy financial woes caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
For a number of retailers, Black Friday and the Christmas trading period are crucial times in the calendar where the majority of revenue for the year can be generated.
David Jones chief executive Scott Fyfe said there had already been strong momentum in homewares and gifting purchases.
“We expect an extremely busy period both in-store and online as Australia and New Zealand continue to emerge from a challenging year and embrace the holiday season,” Mr Fyfe said.
Department stores, online retailers and major flagship chains including Adidas, Peter Alexander and Michael Hill are already offering early-bird discounts.
Myer chief customer officer Geoff Ikin said the national retailer had already released early discounts and expected a pick up in online orders as a result of social distancing measures.
“Black Friday has proven itself as the key pre-Christmas sale event, and we are seeing more customers using it as the perfect time to purchase what they need for Christmas,” he said.
“There are so many great offers for customers — some, up to 70 per cent off, with once-a-year sale prices and promotions across every category in store and online.”
David Jones’ sales kick off on Wednesday with up to 50 per cent off a slew of homewares, electrical, clothing, accessories and beauty.
The retailer is offering:
- 50 per cent off selected fashion, shoes, accessories, homewares and electrical products
- 30 per cent off full-priced women’s and men’s fashion, including Minkpink, Lioness, Levi’s, Tommy Hilfiger, Gant, Nautica and Armani Exchange
- $220 off the retail price for a Dyson V10 Animal vacuum
- 25 per cent off full-priced toys
- 20 per cent discounts on full-priced beauty brands, including Estee Lauder, Hugo Boss and Tom Ford.
- 40 per cent off women’s lingerie
On Friday only, David Jones will knock $150 off the Dyson Supersonic hair dryer which usually sells for $399. All Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger clothing will be discounted by 40 per cent.
More sales are expected to be announced on Friday.
Myer has also announced early-bird offers online and in-store across all departments.
The department store retailer is advertising:
- 30 to 40 per cent off men’s clothing, including underwear and shoes
- 40 per cent off selected women’s accessories and shoes
- 30 to 40 per cent off womenswear
- 25 to 70 per cent off kitchen goods and appliances
- 20 to 30 per cent off electronic and entertainment goods
- 40 per cent off manchester and bedding
- 30 per cent off kids’ clothes
- 20 per cent off skincare and beauty
- 15 per cent off selected Dyson products
JB Hi-Fi’s “price blitz” has huge savings on electronics, including discounts on phones and televisions of up to 50 per cent.
Certain Samsung phones are being advertised with $1000 off, while some Sony and Hisense TVs have been slashed by more than $500.
JB Hi-Fi is also advertising:
- 15 per cent off cameras
- 20 per cent off phones
- 20 per cent of certain computers
Here’s what other retailers are offering:
Kathmandu: 40 per cent off clothing and outdoors wear
Country Road: 20 per cent off everything
Michael Hill: Up to 50 per cent off jewellery
Nike: 20 per cent off storewide
Adidas: Up to 30 per cent in-store
Hype: Up to 50 per cent off selected shoes
JD Sports: Up to 50 per cent off certain clothing, sportswear and shoes
Peter Alexander: 20 per cent off storewide
Sephora: Up to 20 per cent off selected beauty and skincare products
Shaver Shop: Up to 80 per cent off
Sunglass Hut: Up to 50 per cent off
Cotton On: 30 per cent off storewide
Kmart: Will announce its mega sales on November 27
Good Guys: 10 to 15 per cent off selected televisions, computers and appliances
Calvin Klein: Up to 40 per cent off underwear
Converse: Up to 60 per cent off
Forever New: 20 per cent off
French Connection: 25 per cent off storewide
Strandbags: Up to 50 per cent off
Windsor Smith: 40 per cent off storewide