Victoria on test blitz after new positive | Ralph-Lauren

Must Read

[ad_1]

Victoria has launched a testing blitz of Melbourne’s northwest after a second hotel quarantine worker contracted COVID-19 in less than a week.

But the early signs are good, with no other local positive cases so far stemming from the two infected workers.

Victoria had no new local or international infections on Tuesday morning.

There are 15 active cases, with 12,816 test results.

More than 100 people, including 12 Australian Defence Force members and nine police officers, have been identified as close contacts of a woman they worked with at the Holiday Inn at Melbourne Airport.

They have been tested and are required to self-isolate for 14 days after their last contact.

Another 17 people, up from 15 earlier on Monday, have been deemed social and household close contacts and will follow the same routine.

The authorised officer, aged in her early 50s, had previously tested negative after shifts on Wednesday and Thursday before having two days off.

She tested positive after her shift on Sunday, and has since been working with contact tracers who identified three potential exposure sites in the city’s northwest.

Testing capacity has been increased near the exposure sites which include a bottle shop, cake shop and clothing store.

New pop-up testing centres have appeared in Brighton and Clayton, while opening hours have been extended at eight other sites from Monday.

Emergency Services Minister Lisa Neville, who is responsible for the state’s quarantine program, said the woman did not appear to have breached any infection control protocols.

Victorian COVID-19 testing commander Jeroen Weimar said authorities were assuming the “worst-case scenario”, that the woman contracted a complex strain while working in the program”.

It follows another hotel quarantine worker at Melbourne’s Grand Hyatt hotel testing positive for the infectious UK strain on February 3.

Victorian Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton tested negative on Monday after reporting a runny nose, sore throat and headache.

He also signed off on Sydney’s Cumberland area – encompassing parts of Auburn, Parramatta and Holroyd – moving from an “orange” to “green” zone from 6pm on Monday.

It was the last remaining NSW local government area to change to a green-zone classification under Victoria’s “traffic light” permit system.

Meanwhile, the Australian Open got off to a subdued start on Monday with an attendance cap, overcast weather and no school holidays making for an unusually quiet day one at Melbourne Park.

[ad_2]

Source link

Leave A Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

Sun Yang’s doping ban almost halved | Ralph Lauren

Chinese swimmer Sun Yang's doping suspension has been almost halved to four years and three months by the...

More Articles Like This