Victoria has recorded five new locally acquired cases of coronavirus, taking the state’s latest outbreak to 45 infections.
Federal MP Bill Shorten says at least one of these cases is a resident at Arcare Maidstone aged care facility in Melbourne’s north, who contracted the virus from an infected staff member.
Mr Shorten’s information has not been confirmed by the Victorian health department.
The department on Monday said the five new cases were recorded from more than 43,874 tests conducted in the 24 hours to midnight.
Some 16,752 COVID-19 vaccine doses were administered by the state government during the same period.
Arcare Maidstone was locked down and residents were placed into self-isolation on Sunday after a staff member at the facility, a woman in her 50s, tested positive for the virus.
The Altona woman had received her first dose of the coronavirus vaccine on May 12.
It is possible she was infectious during shifts on Wednesday and Thursday.
Contact tracers are yet to uncover how the worker caught the virus, making her a “mystery case”.
Only a third of Arcare Maidstone’s 110 staff and 53 of 76 residents have been vaccinated so far, with the federal government bringing forward scheduled vaccinations to Monday.
Mr Shorten, whose electorate of Maribyrnong takes in the facility, said most residents and staff were yet to receive their second dose of the vaccine.
“Worryingly both the staff member who recorded positive but one resident, possibly two … (who) appear to have contracted COVID, were both vaccinated in the first round,” he told ABC News on Monday.
“It just emphasises … that two vaccinations is what we need.
“The people who are sick had actually had a vaccination. You need two. One is not enough.”
Health Minister Greg Hunt said 85 per cent of residents in private aged care facilities and 100 per cent in Victorian residential facilities have been vaccinated.
Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation Victorian branch secretary Lisa Fitzpatrick said vaccination rates at the Maidstone facility demonstrated Canberra’s “go-slow culture” on aged care.
“The hindsight of almost 2000 Victorian aged care residents contracting COVID-19, 655 resident deaths and more than 1600 aged care workers infected was not enough to motivate the Morrison government into urgent action,” she told ABC Radio.
Ms Fitzpatrick also said the Royal Freemasons’ Footscray and Coppin Centre aged care homes are also going into lockdown after the Arcare worker did shifts at those facilities.
The Royal Freemasons facilities were not among the 40 locations added to the state’s list of exposure sites on Sunday.
The new sites include a soft drink factory in Thomastown, a number of bus routes in Melbourne’s north and various stores at Chadstone shopping centre.
Craigieburn’s Willmott Park Primary School was closed on Monday with nearby Mount Ridley College listed as an exposure site after a pupil tested positive for COVID-19 on Saturday.
Acting Premier James Merlino said no decision has been made on whether the state’s seven-day lockdown will end on Thursday evening as planned.
“This is something that is evaluated every hour of every day,” he said on Sunday.
Meanwhile, Victorian Treasurer Tim Pallas accused the federal government of failing to help stood-down Victorian workers, as he announced a $250 million business support package.