Warrant issued for ex-Port Adelaide star Jack Watts’ arrest after court failed to find him | Ralph Lauren

Must Read


A warrant has been issued for the arrest of former AFL star and number 1 draft pick Jack Watts after a South Australian court struggled to locate him and issue a summons for him to appear.

The 30-year-old — whose full name is Jackson Redvers Watts — had his case listed in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Monday after he was charged with failing to stop and give particulars to persons at a crash scene, failing to report the crash to police and driving without due care.

The former Port Adelaide and Melbourne Football Club player was allegedly driving a Toyota Kluger along Coral Sea Road in Fulham when he crashed into a parked Mazda Sedan at about 2pm on September 20 last year and failed to stop.

His immediate retirement from the AFL was announced on September 24 — just four days after the alleged incident.

Port Training
Camera IconFormer PAFC star Jack Watts was due to appear in the Adelaide Magistrate Court on Monday. Kelly Barnes Credit: News Corp Australia

Mr Watts, who moved back to Melbourne after his retirement, did not appear in court but the matter was called on by Magistrate Simon Smart.

The court heard the defendant’s summons had not been served because there were issues locating him.

Magistrate Smart said several attempts were made to track him down and believed he was living in Mentone in Victoria.

A warrant was issued for his arrest, allowing automatic police bail once he is located.

According to Port Adelaide Football Club, Mr Watts notified the club of his decision to retire the same week of the alleged incident.

“I have been thinking long and hard about my future for a while and contemplating retirement,” Watts said at the time.

PORT ADELAIDE TRAINING
Camera IconThe court heard authorities had struggled to locate Mr Watts to summons him to court. Sarah Reed Credit: News Corp Australia

“Since my injury, I feel my body has let me down and I have been struggling with the physical and mental requirements of getting back to the level of fitness that’s required at AFL level.

“Speaking with Ken (Hinkley) and Chris (Davies) and my manager in the last few weeks, it feels like the right decision for me to step away and look for new challenges in the next phase of my life.”

Mr Watts was drafted at pick 1 to the Melbourne Football Club in 2008 an debuted the following year.

He moved to play at Alberton Oval in the 2017 trade period where he played 21 games for the Power before sustaining a serious leg injury, partially dislocating his right ankle and breaking his leg, in March 2019.

Across his 12-year career in the AFL, he played 174 games and kicked 161 goals.



Source link

Leave A Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

Qld police fear Alan Lace still on run near Maryborough

Three people have been charged over alleged links to a convicted killer who remains on the run in...

More Articles Like This